Mastro, Barnes & Stazzone P.C.: Criminal Attorney
Facing sexually-related charges is difficult if you are innocent. Part of the reason is the explicit nature of sexual assault and other charges. But another is the lack of physical evidence in many cases, leading to your word versus theirs situation. For these reasons, it is critical to hire a seasoned attorney to protect your rights. Hiring a good lawyer is the best way to clear your name or to avoid extensive jail time. Mastro, Barnes & Stazzone P.C.’s Denver, CO attorneys handle sexual assault charges and make their clients feel confident in the knowledge the jury hears their voice.
Types of Sexual Assault Charges
Colorado law divides sexual assault into two categories. Judges don’t determine sentencing by these categories alone, instead balancing them against a wide array of aggravating factors, including force, date rape drugs, or weapons. Additionally, in both sexual assault and unlawful sexual contact cases, penalties are much more severe when the victim is under the age of 18. This is true even if the defendant claims to be unaware of the victim’s age. The two categories are:
- Sexual assault: Colorado defines sexual assault as the knowing penetration or sexual intrusion of a victim who is incapable of understanding sexual conduct. This also could mean they are unconscious or asleep or detained in jail, prison, or a hospital where a defendant may abuse authority to coerce the victim.
- Unlawful sexual contact:Unlawful sexual contact covers any inappropriate conduct the state might not technically define as sex but is still sexual. Crimes such as indecent exposure or sexual contact taking place during a medical exam would fall into the category of unlawful sexual contact.
Misdemeanor Vs. Felony Sexual Assault Charges
The severity of sexual assault charges can vary significantly depending on the age of the victim and the circumstances surrounding the assault. In cases where there appears to be violent behavior, or there are multiple defendants involved in the attack, the charges are likely to be more severe. If you’re facing charges, you should contact a criminal defense lawyer in Denver, CO from Mastro, Barnes & Stazzone P.C.
- Misdemeanor charges: When prosecutors charge sexual assault or unlawful sexual contact as a Class 1 Misdemeanor, a defendant may face up to two years of jail time with fines ranging from $500 to $5,000. Unlawful sexual contact has a typical sentence of a Class 1 Misdemeanor.
- Felony charges:Sexual assault has a typical sentence of Class 4 Felony, which is subject to 4-12 years in prison with fines of $2,000-$500,000. Sexual assault may be charged as a Class 3 or 4 Felony if physical violence forced the victim into a sexual act through physical violence. Felony 3 and 4 charges also occur when another party helped the defendant or the victim sustains significant personal injuries. Additionally, the state charges armed defendants with Class 3 and 4 felonies.
We’ve Defended Individuals Against an Array of Sex Crimes
Colorado Sexual assault law can be difficult to understand, particularly due to the different classifications that accompany different charges. The lasting consequences of a guilty verdict or flee, including registration on the sexual offenders database are the common thread running between all of them. We have experience defending individuals accused of numerous sex crimes, including:
- Child Sexual Assault:While the age of consent is 15 in Colorado, the age of the other party determines whether statutory rape charges are applicable. Even if the defendant didn’t use force, statutory rape is illegal and carries intense consequences with it. Hiring Mastro, Barnes & Stazzone P.C. is an important first step towards securing your freedom.
- Indecent Exposure: Indecent exposure is a charge levied when an individual exposes him or herself in an effort to alarm or cause offense to others. While not as serious a charge as other sexual offenses, it still has an impact on your life if you are found guilty.
- Public Indecency: Public indecency is similar to indecent exposure. This charge occurs when an individual reveals intimate parts – other than genitals – in a lewd manner. It includes public sex but precludes public breastfeeding.
- Prostitution: Colorado has criminalized prostitution-related crimes, including soliciting, patronizing, and pimping. We provide legal defense for all three.
- Internet Luring: This charge includes actions such as knowingly communicating over a computer or data network with a child under the age of 15 while engaging in graphic sexual conduct or conversation. Crucially, it involves an attempt to meet in person for any reason.
- Child Pornography: Child pornography is a grave crime, and defendants need a skilled and capable defense attorney to prevent extended jail sentences. We’re aware of the stigma and complexities of cases like this and how to mount a defense.
Contact Mastro, Barnes & Stazzone To Schedule an Appointment
Mastro, Barnes & Stazzone P.C.’s defense attorneys handle everything from sexual offenses to robbery, crimes of violence, menacing, vehicular homicide, domestic violence, and drug offenses. We strongly believe in our clients’ right to a fair and just trial, and we do our part to ensure that happens. If you’re in legal trouble, then now is the time to contact the attorneys at Mastro, Barnes & Stazzone. We can do our best to ensure you see no jail time or experience as light a sentence as possible.